Wednesday, September 3, 2008

D'oh!

I remember one particular launch failure a few years back when we were living in Vero Beach.
(It may well have been the one in this video - I have no idea.)
I didn't know about it until I got to work, but apparently it was a doozy, and the radio and TV were giving instructions "not to go outside unless absolutely necessary" and not to go out at all if you suffered from any type of lung ailment. Something about the payload.
But I didn't know about this because I was busy with yardwork, walking the dogs, ya know - being outside. Everyone at work laughed and laughed at my mock horror at my certain impending doom. Anyway.

The next day in the paper, a fellow who happened to be tuned in listening to Launch Control wrote a hilarious tongue-in-cheek letter to the editor about the Cape using the term "anomaly" instead of something more plain-language like "launch failure" or "explosion."
He wrote something to the effect of, "When I first heard that we had an anomaly, I panicked. I'm a simple country boy. What the hell is an anomaly, and how did we get one? If I get it on my shoe, will it come off? I had to run and get my dictionary!"

Anyway, this video combines raining fireballs, melted glass, and the knowledge that no one was injured. It doesn't get much cooler than that, y'all.

No comments: