Monday, June 23, 2008

Rose Center for Earth and Space


I love museums. I have been to a bunch of them, including the Louvre, the Chicago Museum of Art, the Field Museum, the Holocaust Museum in DC, MOMA, the Musee D'Orsay and too many science museums to count.

But the Rose Center is, hands down, the best. Every time I go to New York, I make it a point to visit. Home to the Hayden Planetarium, the Rose Center has exhibits devoted to weather, natural disasters and, of course, space.

The Scales of the Universe is a 400-foot-long walkway that spirals around the Hayden Sphere, a 47-foot ball that is used to show the size of various objects in the universe. (If the Hayden Sphere is the known universe, this object is our galaxy. If the Hayden sphere is our galaxy, this object is our solar system... all the way down to: if the Hayden sphere is an atom, this object is a proton.)

Neil deGrasse Tyson, almost as cool an astrophysicist as Garrett Reisman is an astronaut, gets to work there. If I worked there, I would never go home.

No comments: